Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Last Supper

Henry is the king of cliches.  "Been there, done that."  "Denial is not a river in Egypt."  "There are more horses asses than there are horses."  "You can't always get what you want."  The kids and I just roll our eyes as he comes out with one after another after another. 

I hope he doesn't read this post, because I'm going to use one myself and that is "be very careful about what you want, because you just might get it."

I'm talking about Cambodia.  I leave on Sunday- THIS SUNDAY!!!  How did this happen?  As I said before, I am terrified and electrified but I think the terrified part is taking over right now.  Am I really going halfway around the world to sleep under mosquito netting and hang around slums, hospitals and orphanages?  Uh - yes, Liz that's what you are about to do. 

So I am in the middle of packing, dreading the 20 hours of air travel, organizing everything at home so I can leave (thank God the burglar is no longer an issue), dreading the 20 hours of air travel, cooking food for Henry so he won't starve while I'm gone (yeah, right - he will probably go hog wild since the food police won't be around), buying gifts for our host families and tying up all the loose ends.  Oh, and did I mention how much I am dreading the 20 hours of air travel?

But I am cooking tonight.  Probably for the last time until I return.  Henry is out tomorrow night (which means I can feast on popcorn and wine), we are out with Henry's brother on Friday night and we are going to have a lovely dinner out (just the two of us) on Saturday night before I leave the next day.  That will be at Float-a-Way Cafe, which is one of my favorite restaurants here in Atlanta.  http://www.starprovisions.com/

Since I seem to be maintaining my 15-lb. weight loss (go, Liz!), I don't want to derail myself too much.  Hence, Roasted Shrimp and Broccoli.  Folks, this recipe is GOOD!  It comes from NY Times food writer and chef Melissa Clark and it's easy and delicious.  If you don't have coriander and cumin seeds in your pantry, go buy some.  The broccoli florets make a delicious catch-all for them.

I could eat this for breakfast.  Actually, I probably will tomorrow, but my breakfast preferences are the subject of another post. In the meantime, I will enjoy it this evening and I hope you try it soon also.



ROASTED SHRIMP AND BROCCOLI (adapted from Melissa Clark)

2 large bunches broccoli, cut into florets
4 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 T. coriander seeds
2 T. cumin seeds
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 lbs. shrimp, shelled and deveined
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Lemons, for serving

Preheat oven to 425-degrees.  Place broccoli on a baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper.  Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with coriander and cumin seeds, 1 tablespoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and the chili powder.  Roast for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, place shrimp in a bowl and toss with remaining olive oil, salt and pepper,  Add lemon juice and zest and let marinate for 10 minutes.

When broccoli has roasted for 10 minutes, remove from oven and add shrimp, using a slotted spoon so you don't add the liquid.  Roast, tossing once halfway through until shrimp are just opaque and broccoli is tender and golden around edges, about 10 minutes more.  Serve with lemon wedges, or squeeze lemon juice all over before serving.

Serves 4-6.

As my food goddess and heroine Ina Garten would say, "how bad can this be?"

2 comments:

  1. Liz, Nice photo of Henry, but what is that implement of destruction he is holding; wouldn't be a kitchen utensil would it? Tell him to come down to St. Pete while you are away.
    And speaking of away, while you are not looking forward to the 20 hour flight, you know that you will be doing a lot of good while you are in Cambodia. You deserve a galaxy of gold stars. We will be thinking of you and wish you a safe journey.

    Love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Simpson. I will take your love and prayers along with me. Henry is holding a Steuben Yankees baseball bat - his 60th birthday gift from his brother and sisters! Implement of destruction? Not so much!

    ReplyDelete