Monday, March 22, 2010

Meyer Lemons, Round 3


Budino.  It sounds fancy, but it's not.  I'll bet your mom made it for you back in the day.  It's really nothing more than a "pudding" that bakes up in two layers, one with texture and one with something less than that, which ends up giving you something like a (no brainer) souffle with sauce.  Your mom probably called it "Lemon Pudding Cake." 

You can bake it up in a chocolate version as well (if you need a recipe, let me know).  Even the Buckhead Diner here in Atlanta had it on their dessert menu.

However, in the interest of using up the rest of those Meyer lemons, I baked up a batch of the lemon version last night.

Oh.  My.  It was simple, deceptively light and I ate the whole thing!  (Well, one entire serving, which is much, much more than I will ever allow myself).  My silly iPhone photo doesn't do it justice at all.  Sorry.

Just make it.

MEYER LEMON BUDINO  (or Lemon Sponge Pudding, for the rest of us)

1/4  cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice
2 tablespoons regular lemon juice
2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest
3 eggs, separated
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted


Preheat oven to 35-degrees.  Grease a 2 quart baking dish or 6 individual ramekins.

Stir together flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.  In another bowl, whisk milk, lemon juices, lemon zest and egg yolks.  Add melted butter and whisk to blend.  Stir into flour mixture and combine until smooth and well-blended.

Beat egg whites until they hold soft peaks.  Fold gently into flour and egg mixture.  Spoon into prepared baking dish(es). 

Place into a water bath (bain marie) and bake for 40 minutes until puffed and just golden.  Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.

Yield:  6 servings

Okay, I'm done now with the Meyer lemons.  I promise.  And don't discard this recipe if you can't find them - regular lemons will do just fine. 

Chocolate, anyone? 



You gotta love this.  My old "retro" hand mixer, which I used to whip the egg whites.
My former father-in-law gave it to me back in the 70's.
Scary!



3 comments:

  1. I have a dwarf Meyer lemon tree, bought at Home Depot 3 years ago. I have gotten 6 lemons from it, one at a time....what to do with 2 lemons per year, one at time? They are very good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this - and the mixer is fantastic!!! You're so cool Liz! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blah, who cares... pudding cups at the store are just s good. I like jello brand pudding packs. But fuck it all, if you're not wearing a life preserver when eating pudding you're screwed anyway. That turbo-douche Liz will get you!

    ReplyDelete