Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Update

For now, Lucy has stabilized and seems to have re-gained most of her motor function.  She's a bit wobbly but is still very much "here" (those watchful eyes again) and present.  She's eating reasonably well, too.  I'm not one to prolong the inevitable and I'm trying hard not to be in denial, but even my vet says it's not time yet.  So for now, we're taking it day by day.  Sincere thanks to all of you who took the time to email me and send your good wishes.

Okay, let's get back to the business of baking.  Let's talk about shortbread.  With salt.

I know, I know, I eat way too much of it.  Not shortbread (heads up, I'm the person who gives all my baked stuff away ... those of you who were the recipients of my peanut butter bars the other day know that), but salt.  As you know, I love the stuff.   I am probably a heart attack waiting to happen.

Remember the chocolate sorbet I told you about recently?
http://nevertrustaskinnycook1.blogspot.com/2010/05/what-to-do.html

As we Jews say, "Dayenu."  That means "it would have been enough."  But when I threw an impromtu dinner party recently, I forgot that.  It's me.  That meant chocolate sorbet wasn't enough.  I wanted something to pair with it.  C'mon, you can never have too many desserts.....

So I decided shortbread would be just the thing.  Then I decided I should dust it with salt.  Oh yeah, I'm the decider!

I decided well.  It was pretty damn good.  The recipe I'm giving you is a basic shortbread recipe and you can use it for just about any adaptations you can think of.  You could add citrus zest or rosemary or ginger or cinnamon or chocolate.  Salt on top is optional.  Oh, but it's SO good!


SHORTBREAD WITH SALT

1 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 pound granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 pounds unbleached, all-purpose flour
Specialty salt for sprinkling

Using electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes, scraping bowl down several times.  Add flour and mix briefly to blend.  Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a large disk.  Wrap well and chill for at least two hours.

Divide dough into two pieces.  Roll out one piece between two pieces of plastic wrap to a 1/4-inch thickness.  Cut into desired shapes with your cookie cutter of choice and sprinkle with salt (I personally like Hawiian pink sea salt) then place on a parchment-lined tray.  Refrigerate.  Refrigerate scraps as well.  Repeat again with second piece of dough. 

Roll out refrigerated scraps and repeat process.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350-degrees.

Place cookies on baking sheet lined with parchment, spacing 1-inch apart.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just slightly golden.  Remove to a baking rack and cool before storing in an airtight container.

Depending upon how you cut them, this can yield 24 -48 cookies.

Just don't keep these around your house.  Give them away.  Unless you want to gain 5 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment