Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Krispy Kreme Cake


When my dear friends Stephen and Mark came over the other day to help me with a house project, at one point we ended up in our garage.  Stephen glanced around in amusement at the the bountiful collection of my catering and baking equipment stored there.  "Okay, Liz," he said, "I'm lookin' around in here and all I see is cooking stuff.  Where are the tools?  Now I know a Jewish guy lives in this house!"



Haha, Stephen, you were right!  I live with a man who admits he has 10 thumbs and he knows I will run away in terror the minute he picks up a hammer or (even worse), an electric drill.  Hell, I can't even trust him with a pair of scissors (I won't talk about the time he chopped off Andy's hair when Andy was a toddler and we were about to travel to NYC to introduce our firstborn to the extended family).  Tools + Henry = not a good combination.  No further elaboration needed.

Unfortunately, I seem to keep adding to that cooking collection in the garage.  When we moved to this house 5 years ago, I purged just about everything and vowed to keep acquired stuff to a minimum.  Oops, I blew it.

Especially when it comes to cake pans. 

I've written enough in this blog about retro recipes and retro bundt cake pans.  Click on the cake recipes here and you will get an overload.  But honey badger don't give a shit and honey badger just wants more cake pans.  Honey badger went online and scoured the internet to find a bad-ass, killer cake pan.  For the moment, honey badger is happy.

That's because honey badger found this fabulous cake pan.  Tragically, it's out of stock right now, but keep trying.  You won't be sorry.  Honey badger concurs.


http://www.nordicware.com/store/products/detail/bavaria-bundt-pan-10-cup--commercial/2211DFE4-7C89-102A-B382-0002B3267AD7

Our spin instructor, Jorge, had a big birthday the other day.  Unbeknownst to him, we decorated the spin room before he arrived, complete with yellow "do not enter - restricted area" tape and happy birthday banners.  Ribbons and birthday horns festooned each bike and Jorge was (almost) speechless when he showed up. 

My contribution was a birthday cake.  Made in that fabulous pan, of course.  Jorge took one look at it and exclaimed "Wow!  A Krispy Kreme Cake!" 

Now that wasn't my intention but he wasn't wrong.  If you've ever been to Krispy Kreme (well, who hasn't?), then you are familiar with their "crullers."  In fact, they could have been cloned from this cake pan.

http://www.krispykreme.com/doughnuts

So go and find yourselves one of these pans and mix up a batch of that Million Dollar Pound Cake I told you about in my last post.  Leave out the cranberries and bake it up naked, omit the brown sugar sauce and brush it with a light glaze of confectioner's sugar, milk, vanilla and almond extracts instead.  You will end up with a simple, luscious, beautiful cake that even honey badger might give a shit about.  Well, maybe not.....




Oh, and if you are one of the two people on the planet who hasn't viewed the honey badger video on You Tube, here it is:

1 comment:

  1. that is BEAUTIFUL...and i am drooling over your garage. i LOVE supplies! can't believe i've never been in there. and so many thanks for all your love and support!

    ReplyDelete