Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Windex and Amaretto






Alright, I know I said that I would share the good, the bad and the ugly. Well, here is the ugly: my house has recently been taken over by fruit flies. Like, by the hundreds.

I think it started with the peaches that started to go south while sitting in my kitchen. Like any other rational person, I threw them in the trash, then took them out to the garbage can in the garage. IN THE GARAGE????? What was I thinking?So the garage became infested. And of course, so did my kitchen.

As I write this, they are flying around here like little miniature bats. Oh, and they like wine, too.

I went online to figure out a remedy. To make a long story short, eliminate the cause (like rotting peaches, duh!) then set traps. Stuff like sweet wine placed in a bowl to catch them and the like. One suggestion even went so far as to say put a piece of rotting fruit in the oven, leave the door open overnight, then quietly sneak in the next morning, close the oven door, turn on the heat and let 'er rip. I couldn't quite go there.

I ended up setting a bowl of Amaretto out in the garage. While doing that, I noticed that they were swarming around the garage windows. I happened to be holding a spray bottle of Windex at the time. Cha-ching!!! I sprayed the heck out of them. It worked!

Problem is, they kept coming back. So for the last three days, I have been a mad woman with a spray bottle out there (and I will not tell you what the petri dish looks like right now. Suffice it to say it is REALLY disgusting). Oy, sometimes I wonder for my own sanity. I think I am finally getting the upper hand though. But now there is an almost-empty bottle of Amaretto sitting in my kitchen. What to do about that?

Here's the solution: No Brainer Truffle Squares with Amaretto.

As I metioned before, I have no talent for decorating, so finely decorated truffles will not happen in my kitchen. These, however, are really, really good and a five-year-old could make them. If you happen to have gold leaf on hand, use it to make them look pretty (I know, you don't, but I do and that's what I used. If you want to buy some, here is the link:)

ttp://www.cheftools.com/searchprods08.asp?txtsearch=gold+leaf&ProductSearchBy=2&image.x=5&image.y=11


Or, you could just scatter some sliced (maybe even buttered and salted) almonds on top and call it a day.


No Brainer Truffle Squares

1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate (I use Ghirardelli 4-oz. bars), divided
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons Amaretto
Gold leaf or sliced almonds

Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment (or waxed paper) overhanging over the sides.

Break up 12 oz. of the chocolate into a heavy saucepan. Add cream and heat over the lowest setting, stirring frequently, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in the Amaretto and set aside for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the remaining chocolate. Place half of it in the prepared pan, and use a small offset spatula to spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes.

Remove from freezer and spread the chocolate/Amaretto mixture over, using an offset spatula. Place in refrigerator and chill for 5 minutes. Then spread the remaining chocolate evenly over the top. Sprinkle with the sliced almonds or (if you are like me, be decadent and hit it with some gold leaf).

Chill for at least 3 hours, or until firm, then cut into very, very small squares.

(If you are throwing a dinner party anytime soon, these are a really great "post -dessert")

Oh and here's the good news. No buggers in my wine tonight! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment