Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Parmesan Crackers


Oh, the pressure of maintaining a blog.  At the end of the day you drag yourself home, dog-tired, and somehow manage to scrape dinner together for those who care about that sort of thing.  That would be Henry, the old, bald-headed man.  Me? Not so much on most nights. (I'm still on this diet, yes?)

And then you remember that you need to post something.  Because, if you don't, your 2 or 3 loyal bleaders will hate you.  They might even stop checking your site.  God forbid!

So I got all prepared a few nights ago to post something as I was baking (and yes, I actually remembered to take pictures for a change).  It was a good recipe, too - Parmesan Crackers.  I was making them to take as a hostess gift to a party we were attending the next day.

You will recall that I promised to share the good, the bad and the ugly here (let's not forget the fruit flies).  So I made the recipe, took photos on my iPhone and then ... burned the entire batch of them.  Like really, really burned and inedible.  I didn't take them to the party the next day.  Oh no.  I threw them out.  Ended up taking a bottle of wine instead.  How ordinary, Liz. 

But here's the recipe.  It's so simple and so good.  I am making them tomorrow for a dinner party we are throwing on Saturday.  Here's hoping I won't burn them again!


PARMESAN CRACKERS (adapted from a recipe I got a million years ago from the New York Times)

1/2 cu unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour ( I use unbleached)
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (don't skimp on this and use crappy parmesan - use the real thing)
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 t. minced, chopped fresh herbs of choice ( I used thyme and rosemary)

In a food processor, combine ingredients and pulse until dough comes together.  Turn dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and pat into a round.  Refrigerate 30 minutes.

Roll dough into a 1/4-inch thick square.  Use a cookie cutter of choice to cut into desired shapes.  Re-roll dough as needed to cut again.

Preheat oven to 325-degrees.  Place crackers on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and bake until firm, about 12-13 minutes.  Remove baking sheet from oven and increase oven temperature to 500-degrees.  When temperature comes up to correct heat, return sheet to oven and bake for 2 - 3 minutes more or until crackers are deeply golden and browned.  Cool on a wire rack.

Yield:  40 crackers

My mistake was forgetting to watch them when I put them into a 500-degree oven.  I think I was on the phone with my mom at the time.  Oh good, that means I can blame her!

1 comment:

  1. What, no picture of the burned crackers. Oh, I am so disappointed. I want proof someone besides myself can mess up a perfectly good recipe. Sure blame your Mom, I won't tell.

    And thank you for posting. Me and your other two readers will not abandon you. I understand the pressures of maintaining a blog. At least I don't have to come up with wonderful recipes for my blog.

    Best to Henry too

    ReplyDelete