Thursday, April 15, 2010

Had Enough of Passover?

As my mother-in-law would say, "enough already!"  I couldn't agree more.  It's time to get back to the business of cooking and blogging about what I like to eat.

Chocolate Truffle Cookies.
What I like to eat!

Speaking of my mother-in-law, she is one awesome lady.  If you don't want to know what she thinks about something, don't be in the same room with her.  The first time we met, she was wearing a Star Trek t-shirt bearing the words "Beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life on earth."  Enough said.

She's a really good cook.  Remind me, and I will make her ruggelach one of these days and post the recipe. 

But for now you will have to make do with my recipe for chocolate truffle cookies.  Oh, my deepest apologies!

These are rich and delicious.  I make them for one of my Vietnam vets at the VA hospital.  He swears he has gained  20 pounds from eating them.  I hope so.  He has cancer and is not in good health.  I hope these cookies fill both his stomach and his spirit.  I hope you will make and enjoy them also!



CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE COOKIES  (from Bon Apetit)
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
2 tablespoons cocoa (preferably Droste)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Melt unsweetened chocolate, butter and 1 cup of the chocolate chips in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until chocolate is just melted.  Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.

In electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs and vanilla until pale and frothy, about 3 minutes.  Mix in melted chocolate mixture and combine.  Add flour mixture on low speed just to combine.  Stir in remaining chocolate chips.

Chill mixture until firm.  Scoop into balls (I use an ice cream scoop) and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 350-degrees.  Place balls on a greased baking sheet about 1-inch apart.  Bake until puffed and set, about 10 minutes or until soft in center.  Do not overbake.  Transfer to a rack and cool.

Yield:  about 6 dozen

YUM!  These are the perfect "anti-Passover antidote.

No comments:

Post a Comment