Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving, Y'all


If you are like me (and you probably are, if you are reading this blog), then you are cooking and prepping like crazy for turkey day tomorrow.  Have at it, and know I am doing the same.  By the end of this weekend, I will be "cooked" myself, my house will be a mess (lots of kids around, to my great pleasure) and I will look forward to starting that diet yet once again.  For now, though, it's all about family and gratitude for the richness and goodness in our lives.

Of course, if we are going to talk about richness and goodness, then I cannot let Thanksgiving pass without sharing my pumpkin cheesecake with you.  Remember that "Only Cheesecake You Will Ever Need" recipe I posted recently?  Well, here's the pumpkin adaptation.

It's too late for you to make it for your Thanksgiving feast tomorrow.  Sorry about that.  However, you would be well-advised to file it away in your memory bank for next year.  I'm just sayin'.....

Here's the post with the basic recipe:

http://nevertrustaskinnycook1.blogspot.com/2010/11/wheres-my-tiara.html

To turn this into a pumpkin cheesecake, omit the chocolate chips, espresso, almond extract and sour cream. Add 2 cups of pumpkin puree, along with 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg and 2 teaspoons ground ginger. This is  good served with freshly whipped cream and I once topped it with spun sugar.  For today's version, I drizzled it with some leftover caramel sauce I had in the fridge.




What I REALLY wanted to use for a  garnish was candy corn or (even better), candy pumpkins.  I actually braved the grocery store today in the midst of Thanksgiving chaos to try and find either, but no luck.  Oh well, guess caramel will just have to do!

On a more serious note, I heard a story today about a 13-year old boy who is fighting cancer which he is not likely to survive.  I'm on the downward spiral here in terms of age.  Where's the fairness in that?  It gave me pause to stop and think about life

So I will just say, take joy in the ones you love, take the time to say "thank you" for the many blessings bestowed upon you and remember that Thanksgivng is so much more than either the turkey or the food. 

Happy Thanksgiving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment