Monday, November 22, 2010

Kitchen Heaven


For those of us who love to cook, it's h-e-e-e-r-e!

Okay, Thanksgiving, bring it on! It will be great fun to spend all week in the kitchen without any regard for the normal humdrum of everyday dinners (i.e. slopping the hogs) or getting to bed at a decent hour. All bets are off as I work on my prep list, crossing off completed items day by day, with a lovely sense of satisfaction.


Um, but "kitchen heaven?" Well, no. In truth, I should have termed it “kitchen hell.” That's because I work out of a crappy kitchen. As I've mentioned before, the people who built this house had no interest in cooking, so the kitchen was the room where they obviously decided to cut corners. Just my luck.

In case you think I am kidding, here is a picture of how much counter space I (don’t) have:


But, at the end of the day, I can’t complain (well, the diva-bitch part of me does but we’ll ignore her). I’ve figured out how to make this space work and in these economic times, I’m happy to have a roof over my head. I love this house (despite the kitchen), I still like my husband, my kids are in good places and my dogs are okay. We’re even at peace with most of our family members. Like most of you (I hope), we have a lot to say grace over.

So I will be spending the week in my kitchen and I will have lots to share with you. Stuff like Pumpkin Cheesecake, Red Velvet Whoopie Pies, Bourbon-Pecan Pie (made in a springform pan, can’t wait to try it!), Barbecued Ribs, Mac and Cheese and Sweet and Salty Brownies.

For now, though, don’t forget about Hummingbird Cake. I made one yesterday for a photo shoot and I remind you about it again because it’s one of the best desserts I can think of (pictured above) to grace your Thanksgiving table.

http://nevertrustaskinnycook1.blogspot.com/2009/10/humingbird-cake.html

1 comment:

  1. Liz,
    Is that opening photo in this post from the photo shoot. It is a great shot, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete