Friday, August 14, 2009

Cake Lady, Part 2





I wrote in the last post that I don't bake and ship my "amazing chocolate cakes" to our troops with ANY expectation (EVER) of receiving any kind of thanks. I mean this very sincerely.

Of course, guess what happened next? The day after that post, I received a handwritten card and a letter from Lt. W. who was the recipient of my five boxes last month. Talk about timing!

Our men and women over there have so much responsibility. They are fighting for us and our country while doing their best to stay alive and uninjured. They are apart from their families and loved ones. As a commanding officer, Lt. W. is also responsible for those who serve under his command. I can't even imagine what it must be like to carry that kind of responsibility. And with all of that, he still found both the time and the inclination to sit down and write a letter of thanks to me. I don't have the appropriate words to describe how humbled I am by that.


So there is no recipe in this post. Instead, I choose to share a few of Lt. W.'s words:


"Every one of us sends their appreciation to people like you who have not forgotten about us over here. We appreciate everything you do. Remember, no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. I hope that maybe one day we can all live peacefully and in great harmony."

Amen.














No comments:

Post a Comment